Sunday, October 10, 2010

Preparation

So I'm in recovery mode this week and easing slowly back into running again. I'm still not happy with my performance last week. Not at all. well, a little - I'm glad I "finished" but to go 30 minutes slower than last year is eating me up. I know I didn't train as well as last year, I know this. But it bugs me. Why didn't I? I've done 4 marathons now, I know what to expect, I know what's going to happen so why didn't I train better? I don't know and I'm really annoyed with myself.

So I've been reading The Marathon Method, by Tom Holland. E had suggested I run the Austin marathon with him and Scott February 20, 2011. Well, by my calculations, I have a couple weeks to get back to "normal" and then 16 weeks to get ready - right on track with this book. It has pretty good reviews. I've read half and I'm now to the training programs. I need to read those very carefully so I make sure I follow them. I'm excited about this and though my knee is still hurting at times, I think this is something I need to do to redeem myself.

Today while I'm baking a pie and attempting a baking surprise (a cake shaped like a pumpkin) for KC and MB and their kids, I'm watching "The Spirit of the Marathon". Watching them run the Chicago marathon today (when the 10-10-10 Chicago marathon is actually going on) makes me excited. I should be out running today...it's gorgeous...but my knees are twinging. So I'm running in spirit instead.

Soon. And I think Austin is on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment